Followers

18 in 2018

De-Cluttering 2018

Thursday 11 January 2018

Caesar Salad.

A friend challenged me to a cook off to make Caesar salad.  Not much of a challenge I thought and especially as they used a pre-made dressing!
 

Here are the ingredients .  I know cos lettuce is normally used but Aldi didn't have any.
 
The dressing was something I've not made before and looked at lots of recipes.  Some had pre-made mayo in but I chose to use egg yokes and olive oil for the creaminess.
 
I adapted what I found online and used the following.
 
4 anchovies
2 egg yokes
1 clove garlic - crushed
Lemon juice
Olive oil
Black pepper
Hard Italian cheese - grated
 
I bashed the anchovies in a pestle and mortar and added the garlic along with the egg yokes and cheese.  I then whisked in the olive oil and added lemon juice to taste.  As I don't have a blender the anchovies and garlic were still bitty in it so I decided to sieve it and then added a bit of water to get the right consistency.  Adding the water also make the sauce lighter in colour.  I then added a bit of black pepper.

 
 


The chicken breast I seasoned and cooked in a George Foreman grill.  I made the croutons by tearing bits of bread into small cubes and fried them.  I then put the frying pan under the grill to crisp up a bit. Added the lettuce, chicken and croutons together and drizzled over the sauce. A few shavings of cheese went over the top.

 
 
Verdict - The sauce was way too garlicky and I love garlic.  Once I'd sieved it, it tasted less "hot" but I've tried it again today and it's is still over powering.  Would I make the sauce again? Probably not but glad I gave it a go and didn't resort to using a bottle! 

No comments: