Followers

18 in 2018

De-Cluttering 2018

Monday 15 January 2018

Money Mondays

Yet again we've taken our eye off the ball a bit and not checked accounts/bill regularly.  While watching This Morning, Martin Lewis was on and mentioned about swapping bank accounts to get a better deal.  This bit wasn't really relevant for us but he said how much interest our bank is offering for new customers.  I knew were weren't getting anywhere near that (I don't like that companies offer deals to new customers only not to their loyal customers).  I went online and have applied to opened the higher interest account.  I've set up a standing order to save each month and will be using the money we have already saved.  The money is fixed for 1 year which is fine as we are saving for moving (hopefully).  I am going to ask my husband to open one too so we can save double the amount as it is limited to a certain amount each month.

Our rental property fix rate mortgage is up at the end of February and we have already started to look into getting a better deal.  We are also fortunate that we are aiming to pay a bit off it as well and probably change it to a repayment one rather than interest only as this will work better for us.

The next job on the list is for me to see about getting a better mobile deal and considering changing to a sim only deal as that has worked for my husband, although I do use my phone a lot more.

I've also done an inventory on our food stores and a shop.  I was surprised at how much I spent in Aldi - £82! when there is just to 2 of us.  But know everything will be eaten and used. 

Next month we are having some decorating done.  We made the decision to get someone in to do it all as we've been trying to find the motivation and time to do it.  I know financially it would be better for us to do but we have saved up and also know they will do a better job than us and as we are looking at renting our home out in 1 to 2 years so if we take care (which we will) it won't need doing again.

Other than meeting some new friends for a coffee this week we shouldn't have to spend anything.
 

3 comments:

Jo said...

We've recently changed our current account to Yorkshire Bank and just received £250 for switching. There's so many good offers these days that it doesn't make sense to stay loyal to one company, as you say, they usually offer better deals to new customers, it's infuriating.

Rainbowchild said...

You're right. It pays to shop around :)

johnnyjumpsup said...

Hi, thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving a message. I'm afraid I can't bring myself to change my bank account, but I have been moving some savings around to get better interest rates lately.

We are also starting to do some decorating on our house after several years of doing nothing. It's been looking a bit shabby for a while now. OH is starting with the kitchen this week. We were going to extend it out into the side return, but the quotes we got were just way too high. We decided to renovate the interior instead, which might cost a couple of thousand pounds but this will be 40 times less than our original plans would have cost, which I'm a lot more comfortable with if I'm honest.